Random pictures, thoughts, and rants.

Random thoughts, pictures, and rants: Mainly from me, but maybe from the dogs if they figure out how to type.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Irontown ruins in Utah

Though I am now home, I have mucho updates from the last few days of my ramble through Nevada and a bit of Utah.

First up, ruins of a place called Irontown. As we zipped along towards Cedar City, dodging sheep and the occasional car, I saw the sign and made the snap decision to go see it. The dogs also needed a stretch, so it seemed a timely stop.

Just a few miles off the highway, Irontown was an iron ore processing spot in the mid 1800's until it could be done more economically elsewhere. The literature at the place seemed to suggest that the untapped iron in the area will someday again become an important resource, once cheap overseas iron runs out.
There are a few remnants of buildings along a pretty little stream and pond. One standing charcoal oven, a rasse (for grinding sand from as much as I gathered), and foundations or walls of several buildings are visible along a short walk. The dogs found many lizards to entertain them while I read signs and took pictures.

It's a beautiful valley and there are current residents only yards from the ruins who live in a little slice of heaven. I ran into only one person while I was there and he had to ask me about my OSU t-shirt. Turns out he was from Portland and all of his kids went to U of O. Small world, eh?
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

No comments:

Post a Comment