Random pictures, thoughts, and rants.

Random thoughts, pictures, and rants: Mainly from me, but maybe from the dogs if they figure out how to type.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Traffic Idiots

Does anyone else notice that if you have to dodge one idiot while navigating the streets of Klamath Falls you will invariably have to dodge two more before you get home?  What is it about the traffic wackos coming out in droves? Do they take certain days off and then head out together when they are back on the job?

Case in point: Today I was pulling up to a stoplight on a oneway street that crosses another one way street.  There is a bank on the corner. Rather than go around the block, some genius decided that it would be perfectly acceptable to turn onto my one way street and travel the wrong direction for 40 or so feet to turn into the bank.  Never mind the frightened people in the lane he squeezed out.  Never mind traffic laws.  He had to get to the bank!  I wonder if he realized he had missed the turn in from his street and was in a panic, was lost and didn't realize that 6th is one-way, or simply didn't care.  I think it was the latter, as he very carefully navigated between the lane of cars and the curb. Generally, people who realize they have erroneously turned onto a one way street have a much more panic stricken look on their faces.  For a few minutes I was amazed at this person but soon I was distracted.

Not two minutes later, as I turned onto yet another one way street, I came face to face with an approaching forklift in my lane.  FORKLIFT! Figuring discretion trumps right of way or legality, I moved over.  The man gave me a jaunty wave as he rode by, grinning from ear to ear.  I'd like to know if he realized he was on a one-way street or if he felt that he could do whatever the hell he pleased because he had huge prongs sticking off the front of his vehicle. Again, I feel it was the latter.

And finally, later today I was toodling along on another one way street, minding my own business, going the speed limit, when a small pickup zipped past me on the right and then cut in front of me.  This is not uncommon on this street as there is a "left turn only" lane and sometimes people forget that they have to get over to make the turn, so I figured he was in a godawful hurry and also was forgetful.  Then we turned the corner and he immediately pulled into a parking space.  I had to restrain myself from yelling out the window or otherwise signalling my displeasure.  Whew, I'm so glad he managed to get that parking spot in time!  There were only four others on the same street and it was touch and go whether he'd have to walk an extra 30 feet to his destination!  Or maybe a bee had flown in his window and stung him in a delicate place and he had to find the quickest way to the curb.  I hope it was the latter.

I need a drink.  And I need to leave my pickup in my driveway more often.  I didn't have any of this aggravation yesterday or the day before when I didn't drive anywhere.  And no, I didn't go to the grocery store today.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment