Random pictures, thoughts, and rants.

Random thoughts, pictures, and rants: Mainly from me, but maybe from the dogs if they figure out how to type.

Thursday, July 8, 2010

I are a flower gardener!

My attempts at growing vegetables last year met with a long, drawn out, and dry end. My attention span for gardening is finite, apparently, unless the fruits of my labor are nearly immediate. So this year I chose flowers and stuck mainly to putting annuals in pots, with a few exceptions.  Here are my victims this year.

Petunias and some other cute little purple flower.  (see how botanical I get?) They really would like more sun than they get, no thanks to the 100 year old tree in my yard, but so far so good.



A geranium which looked so happy at the greenhouse.  It looks much less happy now that I brought it home and repotted it.  I had it out in the only sunny spot in my yard, but I think it didn't like it there.  It now resides on the porch on an old metal stool.  I think it complements the asbestos siding of the house quite nicely.


"Scarlet begonias tucked into her curls"  Ok, sorry about the random Grateful Dead reference there.  These are my happy begonias.  I have three different planters of them since begonias have proven themselves to be tolerant of the amount of shade my yard gets and the amount of neglect my plants get. I love them.


The "rose garden".  I like roses and I decided to give this patch of dirt over to them more permanently.  The one on the left is called a Marilyn Monroe.  I thought about getting the big white showy JFK rose to put next to it, but I resisted and so the one on the right is called a Remember Me.  Neither name has much significance to me, I just liked the colors.


 Marilyn Monroe

Remember Me

And not to be outdone this year, the little climbing rose that has been here since I bought the house is blooming up a storm.  You can also see the foliage of the random bush that I want to tear out this fall to its right and the "annual shade loving" plants that I put in a few years back that are going strong.


Next year I really would like to tear out all of the Oregon Grape that lives along the side of my house and replace it with grapes.  Regular grapes.  We'll see.  That's a lot of commitment and a long time to wait for the fruits of my labor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment